Chakras are believed to be energy centers in the body that both indicate and influence an individual's physical and emotional wellbeing. One misconception that I come across quite often is that chakras are either "blocked" or "healthy." In my experience as an energy healer, that is not true. I have encountered many instances in my practice where a chakra seems to have an excess of energy. That chakra is often neighbored by a weaker or "blocked" chakra. It is as if the person has an energetic dam in their system that is holding energy in certain chakras and not allowing it to flow adequately to others.
One solution for this that I learned from a Qi Gong Master is to run a hand over the body in the area of the two chakras in a circular motion. For instance, I often see a block between the solar plexus chakra and the heart chakra so one could rub a circle from their breastbone to their upper abdomen. This will help stimulate the energy to flow into the blocked or weakened chakra.
So how do you know if your chakra is overloaded? Well, the chakra reflects the wellbeing of the person so you can do the reverse and determine the state of your chakra by examining your wellbeing. Here are a few that focus on the psychological issues that can be related to an overloaded chakra:
- Overloaded Root Chakra – Obsession with money, security, and possessions, difficulty with being generous, fear of change and strong dependence on routines, workaholism, hoarding, and having strict personal boundaries that interfere with being open to others.
- Overloaded Sacral Chakra – Extreme mood swings, being overly sensitive and overreacting, addictions, emotional eating, codependency, being ruled by your feelings.
- Overloaded Solar Plexus Chakra – Anger issues, control issues, difficulty with compromise, obsession with winning, obsession with power and status, arrogance, lack of sensitivity.
- Overloaded Heart Chakra – Constantly putting other people's needs before your own, codependency and clinginess in relationships, jealousy, self-neglect, feeling burnt out from all that you give.
- Overloaded Throat Chakra – Excessive talking, talking loudly, interrupting, difficulty listening to others, speaking without thinking, speaking too bluntly
- Overloaded Brow Chakra – Having a hard time distinguishing dreams from real life, daydreaming, feeling disconnected from reality, being too much in your head, difficulty focusing on the present.
- Overloaded Crown Chakra – Obsession with spiritual or intellectual practices, getting caught up in thoughts, a tendency to over-intellectualize, losing track of time, feeling disconnected to the body and ungrounded.
If you are experiencing any of those issues, you probably have an overloaded chakra. Remember, life causes the chakras to go out of balance; it is not the fault of the chakra. Reiki is a very effective technique for balancing the chakras and all energy systems of the body. Meditation, breathing exercises, yoga, affirmations, and toning the chakras are also helpful tools.
Typically, for overloaded chakras, a great remedy is aerobic exercise to get the energy moving where it needs to go and to assist the body to release any unneeded energy. Just make sure that you drink plenty of water!